The endorsement statement said, ‘This safe staffing toolkit supports the majority of factors identified in the NICE guideline on safe staffing for nursing in adult acute inpatient wards necessary for the determination of safe nursing staff levels both in real time and as part of planning and establishment setting.
The toolkit supports:
- the principles necessary to determine nursing staff requirements
- factors needed in setting ward nursing staff establishments with the exception of the direct use of bed utilisation or taking ward layout into account
- on-the-day assessments of nursing staff levels in relation to patient nursing needs
- monitoring and evaluation of long term ward nursing staff establishment.
The resource encourages the use of professional judgement in the final determination of nursing safe staffing levels in line with the guideline.’
HealthRoster is used by 176 NHS organisations to roster staff with over 70 NHS organisations already combining HealthRoster with SafeCare to manage safe staffing.
Paul Scandrett, Director of Healthcare, Allocate Software “We are completely committed to supporting the important work happening across the service to ensure staffing levels are understood, safe, reflect patient need and are delivered as efficiently as possible.”
“Trusts using our resource have already moved to dynamic shift-by-shift organisation wide visibility of patient numbers and needs alongside staffing levels and skills. We are delighted to have the endorsement by NICE of HealthRoster and SafeCare this is an opportunity for our customers to build a strong, data driven evidence base for the future.”
Notes for editors
1. Allocate Software brings in-depth market knowledge and wide-ranging expertise to the development of innovative solutions that are designed to help the NHS become more efficient while maintaining and improving service quality. Our solutions are the most widely-used workforce management, governance and compliance tools in healthcare. HealthSuite solutions include e-Rostering with HealthRoster, medic workforce solutions with HealthMedics, risk and compliance with HealthAssure and PatientFlow with RealTime.
2. A link to the related guideline SG1 – Safe staffing for nursing in adult inpatient wards in acute hospitals. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/sg1/resources/endorsed-resource-healthroster-and-safecare-74002862
3. A link to the resource details can be found here https://www.allocatesoftware.com/health/healthsuite/healthroster/safecare_safecarelive/
4. Details of the NICE endorsement programme can be found here http://www.nice.org.uk/about/what-we-do/into-practice/endorsement
5. The CNO for England sent a letter to Directors of Nursing in England last week in which she said that the guideline for safe staffing for nursing in adult in-patient wards was “important part(s) of our approach to ensuring safe and high quality care.”
For further information about HealthRoster and SafeCare please contact:
Liz Jones, Allocate Software, 07968 412642, Liz.Jones@allocatesoftware.com